In 1881, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad purchased 187 acres for construction camp and depot along the railway.
The town was originally called Temple Junction after Bernard Moore Temple (1843-1901), who was the civil engineer that designed the layout for the railroad tracks through Bell County.
The first Santa Fe Hospital was in operation from 1892-1907 and was built of wood. The brick Santa Fe Hospital was built in 1907 and has been added on to several times. It still serves as a clinic for the Temple campus today.
In 1892, Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. began working as Chief Surgeon at the recently constructed Santa Fe Hospital. By 1895, there was need for a new house surgeon and Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr. was selected for the position.
In 1906, Dr. Claudia Potter was hired at Scott and White and was the first female anesthesiologist in the United States. She would become the first to use gas anesthetic in Texas as well as be on the first medical flight in Texas to perform surgery on a patient who had gastrointestinal perforation.
In 1912, the Radiology department was created at Scott and White, shortly after the discovery of x-rays by German physicist Dr. Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895.
Our Radiology residency began at Scott and White in 1945, shortly after the creation of the American Board of Radiology in 1935.
Scott and White Memorial Hospital at its current location on “The Hill” had its groundbreaking in 1961. This was the first combined hospital and clinic built simultaneously in the United States. In 1974, the hospital was the first in Texas and one of the first in the nation to have a CT scanner.
Texas A&M Medical School was established in 1977 with the partnership of Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Temple VA Hospital. The charter class included a future neuroradiologist and chairman of our Radiology department Dr. Gill Naul.
Scott and White Memorial Hospital continued to expand to meet growing patient needs with building of the Center for Advanced Medicine that was completed in 2007.
In response to the passage of the Affordable Care Act, Scott and White Clinic and Baylor University Medical Center officially merged in 2013 and is the largest non-profit health system in Texas.